Teaching Artist Podcast

#95 Meera Ramanathan / Grounded in Collage
This podcast episode is great for professional development, specifically for those whose content area is focused in Arts. I feel like I loved this podcast because I could relate to the speaker, she is a woman of color and of similar upbringing. 
Meera speaks on how it's important to maintain personal art career goals outside of a career as a teacher. I think in this country we can be easily consumed by our day jobs that we forget some of our passions and aspirations. She shared some great tips on how to get your personal art out in the community, galleries, and juried shows. As a working artist I do miss participating in things like that, because it drives me to create more. I also think it's important to share with your students that you are a regular person with realistic goals outside of the classroom. I want to be a role model for my students and show them that their job shouldnt define who they are but rather their passions and contributions to their community matter much more. 
Meera spoke about finding time to create personal art outside of teaching in the home, balancing motherhood, marriage with the process of art and how you can incorporate all of those things into art making. As a creative person I am someone that can get pretty down when I am too busy with work and school when I am not making art. That piece of advice was important for me because I think even if I dont think it's a great piece of art, the process is what's important. Something great can come of just a five minute sketch while I am at work, the fact that creative minds must always make time for self expression was nice to hear from a fellow creative person. 
This was a great podcast for personal development because it was coming from a working teacher and most importantly a working artist who is active in their community. She is also a great representation of how female women of color artists can be successful, they can be professionals, teachers, while still being mothers and wives. It was a super inspirational listen. 

Comments

Popular Posts